Workshop at Linhof & Studio

Paula and I will be running another LF workshop in Leigh on Sea in spring 2008. Details will be posted on the Linhof website in due course or if you just can't wait contact Paula on +44(0)1702 716116 for further details and to reserve a place.

Saturday 24 November 2007

No post for ages then they all come at once...

For me photography is a voyage of exploration. I believe that we all start with a sense of enquiry, a sense of wonder at our chosen subject. The voyage that we embark on is to discover the limits of what we know about technique, to explore the subjects that we photograph and, perhaps, to open up the unknown territory of our spirit.

I was recently asked by Eddie Ephraums to look at a book that reflected the journey to date of a photographer who I have witnessed at first hand grow from unskilled novice to someone who now taking his first unsupported steps on his personal voyage of exploration. The book is called “Writing with Light” and contains the work of Sami Nabeel. It prompted me to think how a photographer might make the journey from “taker” to “maker” of photographs, from technically competent illustrator to expressive photographer as Sami has.

If I had been writing about this journey at almost any other time in the last couple of thousand years there would have been a well trodden route that the artist would have followed, from indentured apprentice to craftsman and, for the gifted few, on to acknowledged master. But no such clear-cut path exists today. The vast majority of people, like Sami and many of my readers, who would call themselves photographers have “proper” day jobs. Photography is something that they are driven to do in the nooks and crannies of their lives, in the gaps between work and family commitments. It would be impossible for most to give up a regular income in order to pursue photography full time. You may have noticed that I make no distinction between amateur and professional photographer. Like any other artistic endeavour, the title “photographer” is one earned by achievement rather than one achieved by earnings.

With little chance of an apprenticeship the two ways that one might learn one’s craft are by studying the example of “masters” in books or magazines or by interacting with fellow enthusiasts. The problem with either of these approaches is that one needs to receive genuine constructive feedback in order to grow. Studying the printed work of masters only gets us so far. Most books, with notable exceptions, are portfolios or technical “how to” treatises rather works that aim to provide answers to why an image was made. Without a dialogue to explain the difficulties they encountered and their approach to finding a solution all we can really do is admire the result.

In the case of the popular camera press things are even worse. The percentage of good work is quite low and genuine critical frameworks are almost entirely absent. The approach more often undertaken by the staffers vacillates between meaningless epithets and snide criticism. I doubt that many staff writers actually give much thought to what might constitute a meaningful critique. Most are journeymen who concentrate on simple narrow matters of technique, that can be learned by rote, and opt for cheap attacks to hide the depth of their ignorance. One UK photo magazine in particular had a long running series where two of the staffers adopted the good cop/bad cop position of alternately praising to the heavens and then tearing the photograph apart. What this was supposed to teach anybody who contributed an image to this futile exercise is beyond me.

Seeking opinions on our work from our peers can be useful. The developing photographer might turn to camera clubs or the Internet and in theory these should provide them with much needed feedback. The main problem here is one of finding the golden ingots of wisdom hidden below the dross. Feedback from Internet forums is often patchy, with either too many opinions on offer or none at all. Sadly, once again, the opinions tend to lack any rigour. Being told that your image is “great” or “crap” or (the worst of all) “nice” doesn’t help you progress. It seems to me that for visual artists photographers in general (and sweeping generalizations are always good!) have an extremely poor insight into why some images work and others don’t. Most avoid thinking about such questions by literally hiding behind the camera. They focus on the technology and don’t ask why they’re making images or what those images might be telling us. Others avoid asking such questions by resorting to the, “It’s all a matter of taste” argument. Postmodern art has been built entirely on this shaky foundation. Despite everything that such artists say, most of which is deliberately obfuscate, art isn’t art just because the artist says it is. It’s no good just saying “It’s Art, innit.” Opinions in art, just as much as in any other field, need to be backed by reasoned arguments. Modernism firmly defined the artist’s role as searching for self-expression but this is meaningless without insight into one’s opinions and the maturity to articulate them. You have to have something to express. Some years ago, Joe Cornish and I were discussing our landscape photography peers (men do gossip) and noted that none were less than forty years of age. At the time we had no real explanation for this. But I now think that it’s a simple case of needing to have had considerable experience of the landscape before one can make significant images. One can master the technology very quickly but a meaningful connection to the landscape can only come with experience. And experience can only come with time spent in the field.

The general lack of a prescribed direction means that many photographers struggle alone for years before they find their way beyond illustration. There may not be the recognised apprenticeships of old but photographers can still seek mentors. This is the role that I and some other photographers seek to fulfil for students by leading workshops. When I began teaching photographic workshops I had no idea how involved I would become in the photographic journeys of my students. Seeing how students grow in confidence and find their own voices has been both a revelation and a deeply rewarding experience for me. For most students the journey that they undertake is quite modest; they wish to master the equipment so that they might make a faithful “copy” of a landscape that inspires them. For others it is a much longer and harder journey: one of constantly trying to fill in the blank areas on the map of their knowledge.

However much the journey varies two things are absolutely clear to me; the student needs to make a serious commitment and they have to believe in themselves. It takes considerable time and energy for the student to find the route to move beyond simple illustration. Even with the outside assistance of a mentor they still need to act as pathfinder through their own jungle of possibilities. All I or any other mentor can do is try to steer them in the right general direction – a little like saying, “Just head west.” It might help in the end but there will certainly be sticky moments along the way. The terrain that they traverse will to some extent dictate their path. There may be ravines that they cannot cross, deep problems to which they have no answer. The mentor can suggest ways to bridge the gap or alternate paths but once again the exact route is for the student to find. They may find pleasant meadows where they wish to linger, but they should be cautious of the easy life. This may lead to complacency and a lack of progress. As I’ve opined before, the life of a photographer is much more akin to that of a hunter-gatherer rather than a farmer. We need to constantly move on and find fresh game.

When I said that the photographer needed confidence to successfully complete their passage from “taker” to “maker” I didn’t mean that they needed to be cocky. They need quiet self-belief that they can manage the journey; self-criticism is essential but they need to be careful that it doesn’t deteriorate into self-doubt. It is easy to remain in the shadow of those who have preceded us – indeed a poor mentor will prevent you from leaving their shadow. The photographer needs confidence that what they have to say is worthwhile if they are to move beyond making banal and vacuous pastiches of our photographic heroes images. A major part of what the mentor does is to provide them with this confidence.

So, what of Sami’s personal journey? When I first met Sami in 2003, he had a 5x4 camera but was struggling with its basic operation. He very quickly mastered the camera but this was only the first and in some ways least significant step. He then began to explore what he wanted to express in his photography. There were many dead ends and false starts, images that failed to meet his critical expectations, but bit-by-bit he began to develop a vision of his own. Four years is an astonishingly short period in the artistic journey of a landscape photographer but he has travelled a very long way since those first hesitant steps. I hope that he still feels, as I do about my own work, that there is still a long way left to travel. The day that we feel we have arrived is the day that the journey ends, the day to turn our back on photography. What keeps us exploring is the quest for unknown territory; looking for ways of seeing that are new to us, images that surprise and delight us. My own journey has been filled with unexpected twists and turns and I pray that it continues to surprise me. If I have taught Sami anything I hope it is that it is better to travel than to arrive.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree wholeheartedly with your comments.

I think one problem with living here in the UK is that it is much harder to get proper "mentoring" than it is in say the US.

My, albeit limited, experience of UK camera clubs is that they are not really intented to foster artistic, as opposed to technical, growth. (If I were being honest rather than diplomatic I am not sure that they foster technical growth either!)

Similarly the RPS seems to require a somewhat formulaic approach, at least at the earlier stages.

We are therefore left with just workshops. Whilst these can be an excellent way of improving given the right tutor(s), as my own photography shows all too well, they are probably outside most people's means over the long term.

What would be ideal is a one to one mentoring arrangement between the would be photographer and the mentor. This would allow for a good discussion/critique of say 6 photographs over the course of a year in exchange for a fee. In an ideal world a promising photograph might be submitted twice to allow the mentor to comment both before and after potential cropping and dodging/burning which might dramatically improve the image.

I have seen a similar scheme advertised in the US but nothing here in the UK - shame as the transatlatic postage makes it impractical and expensive.

Anonymous said...

PS - I should probably have said this first - thats a great image - I'd love to see it at a proper size.

Anonymous said...

David, I have to say this, to me, is one of your finest images to date. It says so much with such economy of style and a very clever use of colour. The fact that the viewer can build multiple superstructures of meaning and story on the basis of how these simple, yet evocative, elements are arranged makes it, like so much of your work, an image to savour for a very long time.

David Ward said...

Hi David & Julian,

I'm glad that you both like the image so much. I have to say that I find the strength of your reaction a little puzzling. I do like the image but see it as sitting within a fairly well worn genre of such interiors and therefore not particularly original. I'm willing to corrected on this! ;-)

David Ward said...

Hi David,

I think that some sort of web based mentoring scheme would be very useful to many photographers. Of course there would still have to be a price to pay for this and the difficulty would be balancing the commitment needed from the mentor against the return that they would receive. Any suggestions on how to solve this?

Anonymous said...

Hi David,

Yes, you're right. It does fit reasonably neatly into a genre but I feel it also offers something original, as well. The view looking through the empty room towards the open door with the hint of exterior light and the warm/cold colour pallette struck me as particularly interesting. It's quite possible to be original whilst conforming to a genre, so I think you're being unduly modest here.

Besides, I think this is the first interior shot I've seen from you so perhaps I just got carried away by the novelty of it. < bg >

Anonymous said...

Re: the mentoring idea...

A while back, I seem to recall that a respected UK pro was offering a 'critique for cash' scheme. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name or I could have found a link to his site and have checked whether the scheme is still running. This could be one solution.

Just a random thought to throw into the mix...

Julian.

Anonymous said...

David, Julian,

I'm not convinced that this image fits within a genre. I've seen a number of similar compositions (and even tried some myself) in B&W but none in colour - but perhaps I'm not widely read enough when it comes to colour photographers!

What appeals to me about this image is the use of light and perhaps more importantly the contrasting colours. I also like the perspective effect. Just for balance my wife, Ros, doesn't like it, feeling that the angles are confusing! Just shows that you can't please everyone all the time.

Anonymous said...

David

On the mentoring, yes, I agree that a web based system might work OK, although it would probably need an FTP site to allow sharing of sensibly sized images. A print would however be simpler and can be scribbled on.

I also agree that it may be difficult to balance the monetary/time requirements of the mentor and of the pupil but I'm sure it can be done. After all such a relationship ought to be profitable for both parties. The best way is probably to set a price based upon the anticipated time required for a reasonable critique of a photograph (half an hour say, perhaps an hour at most) and then look at the mentors expected rate of return for that time.

If such a system was started then I think it would be reasonable for both parties to commit to a set number of images in a year, say a maximum of 6, and for the pupil to pay a non-refundable fee up front.

In an ideal world you would probably look for a mentoring "panel" of two or three people to give a range of opinions, however that is probably making things over complicated and of course adds to both the pupils cost and the administration required.

Guy said...

With regard to menroting: if the mentor is being paid, and developing an income stream, by the mentoree (!) then surely the onus is on the mentor to teach in such a way that the income stream continues. The chances of it being genuine, unbiased mentoring are zero. There is always an edge and who does that serve.

The onus for the learning photographer is to surround themselves with photography / art or visual references and fundamentally to go out and take pictures! The single biggest issue I have with photographers (sic) is the time spent talking about 'it' as opposed to actually doing it.

Back to the mentoring: a blacksmith mentors an apprentice whilst they are in the forge. Mentoring a photographer by just looking at images on a computer screen is a fruitless long term exercise!

David Ward said...

Hi Guy

Putting aside the scurrilous suggestion that I only mentor for the money (God I wish there was enough dosh in it for that to be true ;-) I'm not sure that I agree that remote (as opposed to hands on) mentoring is "fruitless". I think that its scope is probably limited but I think that it can provide useful guidance. I have after all provided critiques of your printed works without having been there at the moment of conception and you professed at the time that it was useful. I guess you might just have been polite but it seems unlikely! ;-)

Guy said...

...yes but though that has been the case on my own expeditions, there have been times when you were able to provide that 'mentoring' experience at the point of inception.

To be clear I am not dismissing mentoring at all, rather the implication of an exclusivly online approach ( and you know my passion for all things e-commerce wise.)

If you were approached by "Fred" who responded to your advert for online mentoring, and all that you ever had were email or telephone communication - would that be the right thing to do?

Would you as the teacher really be getting what you want out of it (mentally speaking)and would your student also get value for money?


Personally I can accept the role of mentoring by yourself (now thats an admission;-) on the basis that I have met you and spent many hours in the field learning from you.

The two approaches work together. I still maintain that long term it would be "fruitless" and that either you or the student would get bored...If there was never any 'face time' I don't think the model would work.

Naturally you may beg to differ

Anonymous said...

Guy,

I wonder if you've heard of the New York Institute of Photography? They're a respected company that has done very well out of the distance-learning model, so it can be done successfully. There needs to be motivation on both sides, obviously, but with interesting projects and/or positive and worthwhile assessment I don't think 'face time' is such a big factor.

The important question, as I see it, is whether someone who has many and often conflicting calls on his time can, alone, provide the quality of feedback necessary for meaningful mentoring.

Anonymous said...

Hi all,

I remember having a brief conversation with David Ward about this a few months ago. My question was whether L&L could do this as an add-on service following the tours. Finding the time seemed to be the problem from David's perspective. As to the usefulness of on-line mentoring, isn't this an important part of photographic distance learning such as with the Open College of Arts? I try to get some idea of others’ work by looking at sites such as photo.net and e-photozine. I have to say that the former seems full of gushing praise whatever the merit of the image, to the extent that I have no desire to post anything at all. The critiques on e-photozine seem to be more measured and thoughtful.

Guy said...

The question in my mind is that comments receieved from any public forum on the merits of a particular image always lead me to think: "and who exactly are you?"

The art of passing comment on someones treasured work is a skillful one. The opportunity to snuff out glowing embers of talent is always there...

Julian - I am aware of the Institute; I still maintain that face time in a mentoring position is fundamental. Distance learning works - hell I even did an OU course in the History of Art. But being able to discuss a photograph that you have taken and worked on, in front of your mentor seems for the medium the way to go.

Part of the development that some photographers, who wish to go on and promote their work, need is the ability to talk about: why, when, how etc. Not everyone can easily do this, mentoring and discussion would help to develop this ability.

Anonymous said...

Gentlemen, can i make a sujestion look at some of the work of the canadian photographer Freeman Patterson as he has done a lot of images on this type of subject matter.

preteen stories erotic said...

Nubians, likethe local tribes gene pool shed checked tended to be either skeletaland breastless or LARGE. We going inside and she now sees were in atatoo parlor.
free personal bestiality stories
spanking stories
eu nifty stories
erotic gay sex stories
free rape stories porn
Nubians, likethe local tribes gene pool shed checked tended to be either skeletaland breastless or LARGE. We going inside and she now sees were in atatoo parlor.