Workshop at Linhof & Studio

Paula and I will be running another LF workshop in Leigh on Sea in spring 2008. Details will be posted on the Linhof website in due course or if you just can't wait contact Paula on +44(0)1702 716116 for further details and to reserve a place.

Sunday 17 June 2007

"Art, huh, what is it good for?"...(Part Two)

Following on from my last post on Art it seems appropriate to discuss a question posed at a recent talk I gave. A member of the audience asked, "Do you feel that it's your duty to lobby for protection of the environment through your work?" From her manner I think the enquirer was probably expecting a resounding, "Yes!" but I'm afraid that I disappointed her.

A deep love of the natural world is fundamental to my photography but I don't think that it's my job to act as a crude propagandist through my images. I'm happy to write or talk about respecting the creatures around us and protecting the future of our planet and, more than this, to follow this up (as imperfectly as humans do) by trying my best to "do my bit". But for me this debate doesn't have a place in my images, at least not in any unsophisticated and obvious way.

It seems to me that I was also being asked the question, "Why do you only make positive images of nature?" Well one strong reason is that I don't believe that making negative images of environmental destruction is going to change anything. Negative imagery is a turn off. Apart from a tiny minority of committed people everyone else looks the other way. They don't want to see bad things and adopt the visual equivalent of the fingers in the ears "La, la, la I can't hear you" pose.

A subtext of this question is an accusation that by making positive images of the natural world I am somehow complicit in the destruction that goes on everyday. I don't think so! This is a kind of "If you're not with us you're against us!" argument, a bullying attitude adopted by the radical tendency of many different political movements including the environmental one. I refuse to be bullied.

The word "duty" in the question is telling. Who or what do I owe a duty to? This question goes to the heart of the relationship between the public and private persona of the artist. In the minds of some there should be no separation between the public and private realm for an Artist; the Artist should live their Art. From this standpoint, since I am a lover of the natural world, it is my duty to proselytise; to convert the great unwashed to my point of view, to get them on-side in the crusade. Actually I think this is what I'm doing, but in a subtle way.

I make positive images and I refuse to apologise for that. The natural world makes me feel positive and that emotion is one of the prime reasons for me making images. I am convinced that positive emotions are much more likely to effect change than negative ones. Seeing something as beautiful is much more likely to motivate somebody to fight to protect that thing than seeing something as having already been despoiled is. It's simple human nature that negative images cause negative reactions. They cause the majority of viewers to withdraw from the debate because they feel the battle is already lost. Rather than causing an uprising, as the propagandists would have us believe they do, negative images are just too depressing and cause the majority of the populous to run and hide.

Portraying something in a positive light isn't necessarily denying that negative things are happening, it may be a denial but it doesn't have to be. Life is more complicated than that! I'm not advocating support for an apologist position, such as that of Nazi sympathiser Leni Riefenstahl. By making positive images of nature I'm not being an apologist for the governments and multi-nationals who are raping our planet. Saying that something is wonderful absolutely isn't the same as saying that it's OK to destroy it. In Riefenstahl's case she was praising the Nazis, the agent of destruction. If we transferred her position to landscape photography it would be like me praising a particular company or government that was implicated in an environmental disaster. It would be like me making heroic images of chain saws and earth moving equipment – that's not something you'll ever see me do!

The original question belongs, I think, to the Marxist tradition of seeing Art's role in quite simplistic terms as a kind of supercharged propaganda. I'm absolutely certain that Art can be deeply affecting on a personal level but I'm not convinced that it can work effectively as a means of changing the world on its own. Picasso's painting Guernica is probably the most famous piece of 20th century art inspired by a political will to protest, in this case against the Nazi bombing of a Spanish village. Did Guernica change the course of the Spanish Civil War to any significant degree? I don't think so. Visual Art is a weak tool when used against guns. The pen might be mightier than the sword, as Edward Lytton wrote in 1839, but I'm afraid that images aren't a match for armaments. Partly this is because it's just too easy to look the other way and partly it's because of a deeper philosophical problem: there is no consistent interpretation of a single image, no language in common between the artist and the viewer or even between one member of the audience and another. The message in Art and photography is too unfocused without written words, a caption, attached. The message is literally ineffable.

The visual arts can lend their weight to a debate but they're never going to be instrumental in causing a political u-turn. The will needs to be present already.

I want to show my wonder at the natural world and to explore notions of vision and perception through my images. I am not interested in creating images of the natural world whose sole purpose is to act as a polemic, I'll leave that to those who are more suited to it. Part of being an artist is about being true to oneself. If we force ourselves, or even worse are coerced, into producing Art to fit somebody else's agenda that work can only ever be third rate. Great works spring from the heart of the Artist, they are not imposed from outside. Saying that I don't want to make propaganda doesn't make me any less worthy as an artist or as a human being. That's a nonsensical argument; it's like accusing a plumber of being a bad person because they don't want to be a prima ballerina. If you're moved to make polemical work fine, if you're not that's equally fine. Art is big enough for both approaches.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very well put David, crude propaganda doesn't have much appeal really. Perhaps the strongest example illustrating your position is the work of Peter Dombrovskis whose work, especially the beautiful and entirely positive photograph "Morning Mist, Rock Island Bend, Franklin River" is widely credited with playing a significant part in preventing the bulding of the Franklin Dam.

Keep making positive images and maybe we'll have fewer industrial turbines foisted on us!

KK.

Anonymous said...

David, these must be amongst the best group of words you have put together.

How right you are in accentuating the positive images of nature, this is the most effective way in influencing and encouraging people to look after the wonders of nature and perhaps prevent villains from perpetrating more environmental destruction.

Art is not a propaganda tool as best described by Lindsay Anderson “Art is an experience, not the formulation of a problem”.

Sami

Anonymous said...

Continuing with the musical references, "you don't know what you've got til it's gone" (Joni Mithcell). Would future generations like to just see images of bulldozers, chainsaws, factories belching out smoke, etc? I think not. There is a place for these images, perhaps in a political arena. The celebration of natural beauty could be described as being apolitical, but cannot be dismissed as "not caring".

Also, as David rightly alludes to in his piece, how often has art changed the world? How many protest songs have actually yielded results? Did the Specials AKA song actually have a direct impact on the release of Nelson Mandella? No. However, what can be achieved is a process of raising awareness, where positive and negative images are equally valid.

Anonymous said...

People are willing to pay far more to protect the best bits of their environment than they are to restore a degraded one. They see a beautiful environment as a common good to which they attribute a personal value.

By seeking out, creating and sharing images of the natural world we communicate our values and remind people of the beauty which, if they are not careful, they could loose. This is a far greater service to the environment than jumping up and down and creating images of destruction.

Dave M

Anonymous said...

Hi David. I'm not sure that Kim Phuc would agree with your proposition that "negative images cause negative reactions". I agree though with the main thrust of the article. Paul M.

David Ward said...

Hi Paul

As a representative of "Pedants Are We" I feel that I have to point out that there was a negative reaction to the negative image of Kim Phuc as a nine year old running naked in Vietnam after being caught in a napalm explosion. There was arguably a positive outcome in the long run but I feel that one can't ascribe this result entirely to the worldwide powerful protest raised by this iconic image. The Americans pulled out of Vietnam because they were overextended and losing the war not because of public reaction to the image.

Of course an entirely different argument is whether the image is Art anyway...

To see the image go here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:TrangBang.jpg

Anonymous said...

Hi David. Beyond the impact this image had/has on US and worldwide public opinion, I think its possible to read a (relatively) positive personal outcome for Kim. Arguably, the image saved her life before it was even out of the camera when Nick Ut used the existence of the image and its pending worldwide distribution as leverage to persuade reluctant medical staff to treat the girl when she was considered by them as a lost cause. Her story thereafter is long and detailed but this image seems to me to have opened many doors to her as 'the girl in the picture' and facilitated her involvement in charity work, fundraising, and even reconciliation with, and forgiveness for, some of those involved in the action that nearly killed her.

My personal view is that the Trang Bang image is art, with a message as enduring as war itself. Would I hang it on my wall? No, but then the best art is that which gets into your mind and stays there unsupported by constant visual replenishment.

Paul

David Ward said...

Hi Paul

I was trying to equate this more directly to my original argument about the Guernica painting by Picasso i.e. did this image, on its own, significantly alter the course of or end the war? I think the answer is still no.

I fully accept that the outcome of Nick Ut being there was positive for Kim Phuc but that's not the same as saying that the image itself saved her.

Sorry to be pedantic about this ("No, you're not!" ;-) but it was a quite specific point that I was making: negative images evoke negative responses – these may lead to positive outcomes but they are more likely to alienate the viewer than engage them.

Anonymous said...

David,
Apart from the Kim Phuc image, two other Vietnam war images come to mind. First is the Eddie Adams image of the vietnam police chief executing an identified vietcong officer in the street. I can still recall the blood spurting out of the side of the vietcong officers head as he fell sidways to the ground,when it was shown on TV. For a young impressionable mind like mine, it definatly showed that war is a nasty horrible business. This image did more to turn the tide of public opnion in the US against the war. Also having the memory of having seen the incident on TV, it is forever etched in my mind as if it had happened yesterday. The other image is Larry Burrows image of the wounded black soldier staggering towards the prostrate wounded officer in the picture. THIS IMAGE WAS BANNED IN THE US as it showed the great American war machine in defeat. Images can change public opinion and these images certainly did. Photography is a powerful medium, and we must not forget that.

Anonymous said...

David,

Apart from the Kim Phuc image there are two other images from the Vietnam war that come to mind. the first is the Eddie adams image of the Vienam police chief executing a viecong officer in the street. This image did turn public opinion in the US against the war. It is also etched in my mind forever having seen the incident happen live on TV. The other image is the Larry Burrows image of the wounded black soldier staggering towards a prostrate wounded officer on the ground. This image was BANNED in the US as it showed the great American war machine in defeat. We must remember that photography is a powerful propaganda tool in this type of situation.