Workshop at Linhof & Studio

Paula and I will be running another LF workshop in Leigh on Sea in spring 2008. Details will be posted on the Linhof website in due course or if you just can't wait contact Paula on +44(0)1702 716116 for further details and to reserve a place.

Friday 28 September 2007

Linhof & Studio September 2007 Large Format Workshop

I promised the participants of this workshop that I would upload a post for them to leave their comments and questions about the workshop and LF – so here it is! Please do ask me about anything arising from the workshop and I will try to answer it as soon as possible. I'm afraid that I will only be able to answer questions from the participants so the rest of you will just have to eavesdrop...

2 comments:

Edward said...

Hi David,

Many thanks for a great day. I learned a huge amount and felt that the day was a great warm up for my week with Joe (although I'm not sure how many leisurely 9am starts and slap up four course lunches he has got planned on Skye...).

One quick question: is there a resource that you know of (book, website, etc) which describes the practical use of compound movements. You touch on the topic in your notes but I would like to see some examples of images that have necessitated the use of, say, swing and tilt to obtain front to back (and side to side :o)) sharpness. Most books that I have read (Strobel, Dykinga, Simmons) deal with movements and examples on a "one at a time" basis. How often do you find yourself using compound movements in the field?

Thanks again, David,

Ed

David Ward said...

I'm glad that you enjoyed the workshop, I'm afraid that you might be right about not getting leisurely starts and four course lunches with Joe. Sorry... I expect the photo opportunities will be rather good though.

I'm afraid that I don't know of any resource describing compound movements. I'll have a look around and if I can't find anything I'll write a brief description and post it here. I reckon that I use compound movements perhaps 20 times a year but Joe says that he very rarely uses them. As a rule of thumb you will probably need to use them more often on inner landscape than you would on wider views.