Workshop at Linhof & Studio

Paula and I will be running another LF workshop in Leigh on Sea in spring 2008. Details will be posted on the Linhof website in due course or if you just can't wait contact Paula on +44(0)1702 716116 for further details and to reserve a place.

Friday 31 August 2007

One hour to midnight...

Well, with three days to go it looks like I might actually get my text for the next book in on time so I thought I'd take a minute or two off to share another image from my trip to Norway with you both.

It occurred to me whilst I was in Norway that the lifestyle of landscape photographers has parallels with that of hunter-gatherers. Like hunter-gatherers, landscape photographers tend to lead a "nomadic" lifestyle, reliant upon the ability of a given natural environment to provide sufficient photographic opportunities in order to sustain our photography habit.

The variable availability of light and cloud, owing to local climatic and seasonal conditions, means that we are unlikely to stay in one place for long. Rather than bagging a kudu or digging a witchetty grub out of a eucalyptus tree I’m searching for a composition. Both ways of life sustain the individual but whereas the hunter gatherer is feeding their body I'm trying to feed my mind and spirit. Of course, many would claim that being a hunter gatherer is better for their soul (and waistlines!) than Western capitalist lifestyles.

Mmm, life's full of difficult decisions – a fresh wichetty grub or a new composition... I'll have mine toasted on the camp fire!

I'll be back next month, hopefully with something more insightful.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps we are more like many of the carnivorous animals that travel to specific locations at certain times of the year to capitalise on plentiful prey. Building an expert knowledge of where to be at precisely the right time to catch our photographic salmon, krill or wildebeest etc.
Personally my apetite was so satisfied after Norway that, like a snake I have only just digested that meal and am now hungry for more!

Anonymous said...

I don't entirely agree with Richard's comment. If you are happy to restrict your diet to what you are most comfortable with it's fine, but by exploring new locations and different times when you are not guaranteed a tasty shot/salmon you can often satisfy your appetite with something much more life enhancing....like David's witchetty grub!

Anonymous said...

I suppose that makes Andrew Nadolski a farmer rather than a hunter gatherer. Or is he another hunter gatherer who just doesn't travel very far?

David Ward said...

It's amazing that a tongue in cheek comment (with a kernel of truth I think) has thrown up some interesting ideas...

There is something to be said for knowing the territory very well, it no doubt speeds up the "kill", but I agree with "Anonymous" that it may lead to repeated hunting of the same prey. Better by far to have a varied diet.

I think that Andrew Nadolski is still a hunter gatherer because he doesn't "plant" the images but gathers them (even though it's from a limited geographical location).

Anonymous said...

Hmmm..... not sure that I can cope with you agreeing with me, David!