Workshop at Linhof & Studio

Paula and I will be running another LF workshop in Leigh on Sea in spring 2008. Details will be posted on the Linhof website in due course or if you just can't wait contact Paula on +44(0)1702 716116 for further details and to reserve a place.

Sunday 15 July 2007

A guilty pleasure?

I'm referring to showing my images in person to someone else – the prospect of which always makes me feel very nervous indeed. Yet, something still makes me go through the trauma of showing my photographs. Perhaps something about the process gives me pleasure? Am I just revelling in showing off, feeding my ego? I don't think so; it's a bittersweet experience for me, a mixture of anxiety and a hint of gratification. Of course it's the gratification that makes me feel guilty...

On the face of it, surely I should have nothing to worry about when sharing my images. I've been making photographs for close on 30 years, my images have been published in over 20 books and a number of magazines and I've achieved some recognition from my peers for the quality of my photography.

But worry I do. When presenting my images to an audience, large or small, I feel diffident; I worry that my images are unworthy, I worry that the audience won't like them – more than that they won't love them as wholeheartedly as I do.

Don't get me wrong, I don't love all my images and I'm not labouring under the misapprehension that those I do love are perfect. I know that they're not. I'm fully aware that even my favourite images have faults in composition or execution. In fact I'm painfully aware of this, its as plain and as haunting to me as a disfiguring ulcer on the face of a dear friend. I'm certainly more aware of the faults in the image than my audience are. Yet, despite their faults, I still love these chosen images. My images are the offspring of my creative spirit and I love them in the same way that I love my children: unconditionally.

I know deep in my heart that I've made a few images that will stand comparison with the best of my peers. I just don't want to shout about it (though I suppose my two readers might legitimately accuse me of at least whispering loudly through "Oceans..."). Why don't I want to be demonstrative? Is it because I'm English? The butterflies in my stomach let me know that I'm not exhibiting false modesty when I shrink from the limelight. If I were supremely confident but trying not to let my audience see that arrogance I wouldn't feel this bad. Paradoxically I feel confident and unsure at the same time; confident that my images are good but also unsure that they are good enough.

The reason for my fluctuating confidence might lie in part in the findings of a study by Dr. David Dunning at Cornell University. He looked at confidence in relation to ability levels. Dunning compared a group of students scores in a series of tests against their expectations. He found that those with the lowest scores consistently overestimated their abilities. More than that, Dunning's team also found that those with the highest scores consistently underestimated their abilities. The researchers put this down to "the fact that, in the absence of information about how others are doing, highly competent subjects assumed that others were performing as well as they were". I'm sure that this is partly true, but I also know from my own experience that the more I learn about photography the more I realise what there is still to learn. The more I know the smaller my precious hoard of knowledge looks and the more insignificant I feel.

Given my discomfort at showing my images in person, should I, perhaps, confine this activity to only showing them to people who's opinion I value? No, I don't think so. However unpleasant it is for me I need to show my work to as wide an audience as I am able and to listen to what they have to say. I've said before that self-criticism is an essential part of the creative process but I feel that peer review is also – and not just garnering the uncritical opinions of those you trust. That way lies a complete lack of perspective and the withering of creativity. I think that we've all seen this effect from afar in the work of certain pop musicians. There comes a critical point in some successful pop careers where the performer has amassed a considerable amount of money and acquired an entourage. If they are unwise they will have surrounded themselves with yes men;

"Do I look good in this outfit?"
"Yes!"
"Isn't my latest single great?"
"Yes!"
"Wouldn't it be great if I drove my Rolls into the swimming pool?"
"Yes!"
"I am the new messiah!"
"Yes you are!"

You get the picture...

It's been unspoken, perhaps even unconscious until now, but it occurs to me that the reason I show my images is not to feed my ego but to get a perspective on my work. It makes me anxious but I want to find out if I'm one of those incompetents in Dunning's study who is overestimating their ability or if there is some merit in what I'm doing. It would be foolhardy to grant all opinions equal weight but also equally foolhardy to dismiss out of hand those that are critical. There therefore needs to be some system of checks and balances. My approach has been to compare three sets of opinions; my own self-critical view, the opinions of a wider audience and finally the views of those members of my peer group whose work I admire. I tend to filter out opinions that are universally positive in favour of ones where I feel the respondent has made an effort at providing a critique.

The anxiety, then, comes from putting myself up for judgement, opening myself up for criticism. Gratification comes from any degree of validation of my work, especially if that approval comes from those members of my peer group who's work I admire.

So, is it a guilty pleasure? No, I don't think so. It's important to seek and find external positive feedback to counter the inevitable negative effect that arises even from constructive self-criticism. As photographers we need perspective and a context for our work beyond that provided by our own egos. But we also need encouragement if we aren't to become irretrievably disheartened. Showing my images is scary but I just have to grit my teeth and do it!

7 comments:

Guy said...

Given what you say, do you get the same feeling when you publish a blog topic? I mean the fact is is that you have a potential audience of billions - possibly slightly more than you would get from any other medium! Do you get the butterflies then?

Blogging is afterall the biggest form self-gratification there is (ahem.)

Interesting to see what impact the link to this site in the current edition of AG will have on your nervous disposition as more than the usual 2 readers may be inclined to comment

David Ward said...

Hi Guy,

I have to say that I don't feel as nervous posting a blog topic despite the potential audience size. Partly I suppose that's because there's no face to face interaction. I don't get to see people's faces as they think, "God, that David Ward has really let the standard of his images slip!" Partly it's because the dialogue that I'm engaging in feels less personal and more cerebral than the images are.

"Blogging is afterall the biggest form self-gratification there is (ahem.)"

All I can say is that you've obviously led a sheltered life...

Will the fame of appearing in Ag go to my head? I doubt it!

Unknown said...

"Partly it's because the dialogue that I'm engaging in feels less personal and more cerebral than the images are." Now that's a topic in itself..


Try - http://slate.com/id/2112621/

Edward said...

Hi David,

I too go through the wringer on this one (and with rather more cause than you!).

I agree that we all want to know whether we are any good or not! Critical appraisal helps us to improve and, when positive feedback prevails, gives a huge boost to morale. But once we have the confidence of a critical mass of positive regard amongst peers, (or a better than 6/10 hit rate, or whatever other yardstick by which we choose to judge ourselves) do we then have an imperative to go on showing our images? If the only cause for doing so is to seek perspective and gratification we might stop once these have been achieved to a degree that meets our hurdle rate. Why did n’t Ansel Adams stop exhibiting in about 1955? There must be another reason.

George Eliot observed that “Art is the nearest thing to life; it is a mode of amplifying experience and extending our contact with our fellow-men beyond the bounds of our personal lot”. Though she was not talking about photography, I think that there is much truth in this statement. There is a communitarian imperative in my definition of ‘good’ art: it must seek to make a public contribution to understanding, even though it is an "amplification" of personal experience.

A great landscape photograph is revelatory. As such it must be allowed to reveal its insights to others (admired peers and general public alike) who might then value its contribution as to how they perceive and understand the wonders of nature. It also helps us better understand each other through how we distinguish, debate and value its contribution in our different ways. Only then does the value of the image, and therefore the photographer fully manifest itself. While the showing of images to others for feedback might be a more obvious imperative, I would like to think that there is at least a sub-conscious motivation to make public these revelations and contribute to the community's understanding and enjoyment of the natural world. If photography is to be regarded as an art form, photographers must show their images and encourage this communication and two-way understanding.

Anonymous said...

Goodness, I find myself motivated to post a thought or two…. Recently I had occasion to show one of my images at my place of work, an image which I believe to be one of my better ones (well, it was taken under the guidance of one David Ward on the Isle of Lewis!). To my amazement, a young viewer said she doesn't “like sunsets …. they are all far too twee”. I have to admit this stopped me in my tracks. Yes, there are plenty of clichéd sunset photos. Perhaps cliché was not the best word here! But I have no doubt that my image shows the truly dramatic lighting of that location and hopefully gives more than a hint of the struggle to get a successful photograph in difficult weather. A little bit of probing elicited the response that this young lady didn't like landscapes at all, she prefers photos of people and “photos you can't buy at Athena.”

So how does this relate to photography as Art? Surely not all images which we can buy in a poster shop are devoid of artistic merit? In an earlier post Mr Ward opened up a vein of thought about exhibiting and selling through galleries – they are often called art galleries no less. There is nothing wrong with that and I believe that mixing images which Joe Public wants as no more than décor on the wall, with more challenging artistic interpretations demanding the viewer to stop and think, is no bad thing either: the more Joe Public sees a higher artistic level of work in juxtaposition with poster shots the more he will recognise the merit of the former.

Art remains Art irrespective of where it is exhibited or sold. What we need is a smart gallery manager who will take the commercial work to pay the bills as well as artistic work to extend public appreciation of the natural beauty that surrounds us. And though we get the occasional surprise when someone unthinkingly rejects what we consider to be our good work, the overall assessment is what counts – the number of hits versus misses.

Adam P

Anonymous said...

I don't think there is any great mystery here. Human beings are by nature sociable creatures (even the relatively reclusive ones like me). It is in our nature to seek the approbation of our peers. The problem, of course, is that we don't always get it so, naturally enough, we are nervous about putting ourselves forward for criticism, in the hope of receiving praise and encouragement, but at the risk of being put down.

My children, who are not yet two years old, are already doing it: Look, daddy, I can pull all the CDs out off the shelf and scatter them all over the floor, aren't I clever? Fearful of damaging the fragile psyche of the innocent little cherubs (yeah, right), I applaud their amazing dexterity, whilst firmly (but lovingly) explaining that they must never, ever do it again. I seem to be doing that a lot lately. Perhaps my tactic will be more successful when they can actually understand me (but I doubt it).

Where does this leave me as a photographer? Well, I think it's a case of nothing ventured, nothing gained. Personally, I have gained a great deal from the feedback of others (positive and negative) and from the experience of having some of my work accepted (and some of it rejected) for publication. Yes, some of these experiences were unpleasant, even painful, but it is all part of the learning process.

Anonymous said...

A critique of a photograph I cannot provide, but a personal response I can. For me, this photo is full of textures that my hand wants to reach out and touch. The softness of the moss, the small pool of water, the hardness of the rocks with the stiffness of the lichen. The fern fronds sandwiched between the two rocks, not as soft as the moss but much softer than the rock. The fallen leaves that crumble so easily in the hand. A place to sit, a place to pause, quiet and rich with color and texture. Thank you for creating and sharing the image.